Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Go See Slumdog Millionaire

If there's one film to cap off this year and meet the new year with more hopefulness to muster, it would be Slumdog Millionaire.

I get fuzzy-wuzzy warm thoughts just thinking about it. Maybe it doesn't help that I have a pervy crush on Dev Patel. I can't help it! He reminds me of that geeky, over-achieving 12th grader Indian boy genius (who knew far too much British History for his own good) I had a silly schoolgirl crush on when I was 11. I completely forget his name, but whatever. He was cute. On that premise, it's not totally wrong, is it? I digress.

Slumdog Millionaire is hot champorado on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Familiar, comforting, modest and absolutely delicious.

The deliberate use of saturated colors and AH Rahman as its sonic master, brought out what Danny Boyle intended of this film: nostalgic and almost romantic. The world is beautiful and yes, there is beauty in the agony of being painfully poor.

If there's any forewarning I need to issue before you do scout for downloadable links and dibidi copies, it's that Slumdog Millionaire is totally a love story. And yes, like most Indian films, there is dancing! So if you're a total grinch, don't watch this if you're bent on keeping your neo-smartass political attitude towards the third world.

Here's the trailer that gave me goosebumps:



This is a short clip from the film with the boys on the train and M.I.A. declaring her fixation over paper planes. Gah, that remix is a killer.


P.S. I am going to the Taj Majal someday. Mister Gandhi, please make it happen.

No comments: