Friday, January 30, 2009

Hi, Holga!

This is a bit of a disaster. I purchased a Holga 120 GN, hoping it might eliminate the slight problem I have with pinholes --- the nonexistent depth of field. My first pictures came in the mail today. I discovered that I have another problem. My Holga, it seems, has a slightly skewed viewfinder. It's completely useless. It doesn't take the right image you see through the hole. This goes against all of a Lomohead's logic, but I can't just run through the streets and shoot from the hip. I find it debilitating. But I love my Holga. Although these pictures don't seem as good, it shows what the plastic camera can do. The images produced are gritty and moody.

This year's Sinulog Grand Parade was fairly exciting: a charging horse, a full and happy snake and the city's garbage --- none of which were taken by my Holga. Those images would have been fun had I not held too much faith on my pinhole camera. The extreme light leaks ruined those good pictures.

So here they are: my first pictures in medium format.
















Holga, taken without flash, 120 film, Fuji Reala 100

More here.

No comments: